DFI: Core Business (Groups, Docs, Drive)

Today I got the amazing opportunity to attend the second DFI in our cluster. This is the first of 9 sessions that I will be attending & supporting this term. It was awesome to refresh some old learning, rethink some current learning and create some new learning. 

The opening messages were very positive and it was great to hear the origin story of Manaiakalani again. Each time I hear it I seem to take away something different, today it was how I could use the literacy circle to clearly show to the junior teachers how Learn, Create, Share fits into what they are already doing in their classes. 

Then we got the chance to focus in on groups - something I know about but haven't really been using at all. Through this session I set up a group for our School Leaders, it is going to be great to be able to track all of the messages in one easy spot and for everyone to be able to include everyone in every file through a quick shared email address. It was even better to have some leaders in the room learning about google groups and what they mean! 

Moving on to docs Gerhard & Mark did a great job of walking us through the different features of headings, voice typing, links, adding extensions and commenting. In this session we also looked at drive and chrome. I think it was really useful for most people to learn about the different people in the chrome browser rather than using the same window for different accounts. 

I think the statement that resonated with me the most is when Gerhard spoke about how improving workflow by 30 seconds here and there could add up to 5 minutes a day. This could mean you get to have or finish that cup of coffee or be able to spend an extra 5 minutes with your family. 

I also really appreciated being shown a website that removes the background of an image! This is something I was looking for, so finding this is great - Remove.bg

Here is a photo of us all - excited to get to know everyone a bit better. The connections across two clusters are going to be really powerful. 



1 comment:

  1. Hello Kelsey, I enjoyed reading your blog, your enthusiasm is contagious. Yes, I agree, improving workflow is important for us :) Thank you for supporting us all during the sessions.

    ReplyDelete

Manaiakalani Teacher Only Day - Structured literacy for older struggling students - Betsy Sewell

  English is extremely complex:  - Our alphabet letters to sounds  - It's not one language it comes from many other languages and moulds...