Positive Progress in Numeracy!!!

Seems like a long time since I last posted, boy a lot of things have happened! 

As most educators know the middle of the year is reporting time. A good chance to reflect on where the students are and how much progress they have made in the first two terms. 

First of all I would like to share the things that I believe made the difference for these learners: 
- Create and Share (students were encouraged to create and share their learning in numeracy on to their blogs). This led to higher engagement and therefore positive results. 
- Tracking - using sheets to track student progress meant that it was easy to see when a student needed extra support or when they could move on. This is also what I used to determine what stage they were working at. 



At the beginning of Term Three I took on the role of Uru Mānuka Programme Leader. This means that I am no longer in with these students teaching them Numeracy... I am hoping that the positive progress that they have made in the beginning of the year continues! These students are making nearly a year worth of progress in a couple of terms... Some students moving from Early Stage 4 to the middle to end of Stage 5 which is really exciting! 
The hypothesis that: "Students who use learn, create, share in Numeracy will see their work as purposeful, therefore will be more engaged and achievement will increase, is proving quite accurate! 
This of course links to Karen Belt's 2016 Inquiry into "Using an authentic audience to enhance the motivation and writing mileage for learners in my classroom." I was trying to make connections across subjects and I think I have found some great beginnings of this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Manaiakalani Teacher Only Day - Structured literacy for older struggling students - Betsy Sewell

  English is extremely complex:  - Our alphabet letters to sounds  - It's not one language it comes from many other languages and moulds...