What is the relationship between blogging for learning and engagement of learners?

Kia ora team, 

As part of our research assignment we had to complete a literature review on a topic relevant to us. The question I chose to research was: 


"What is the relationship between blogging for learning and engagement of learners?"


I am really proud of the work that I completed for this and feel that it gave me a good understanding of the current research on blogging for learning. Throughout the research I became really interested in how an authentic audience impacted on student engagement. I also found that there seems to be a gap in the literature on the impact of commenting on cognitive engagement.


Here is my introduction:

Education researchers over the last two decades have been focusing on the integration of ‘21st Century Skills’ and their effect on engagement and student achievement. It is clear that technology is rapidly transforming the design of teaching and learning. When peered with effective teacher pedagogy the affordances of technology create ubiquitous, connected, visible and empowered learning opportunities (Burt, 2007). A new understanding in 21st Century Education is that learning occurs not only during the hours of a school day but also at home, on the marae, on-line, off-line and with a diverse range of people from any age bracket (Gleeson, 2010; Ministry of Education, 2015). Blogging is a ‘social software’ that provides users (known as ‘bloggers’) with the ability to become writers, readers and commenters by simply logging on. It has the potential to connect individuals though visible portals across time and space in addition to allowing for personalised thought and reflection. The use of blogs encourages reflective thinking through knowledge creation, transformation and sharing, allowing the opportunity for users to express emotional experience and exchange social and cognitive support with peers (Sun 2010; Robertson, 2011). Current education research provides insight into the potential of blogging to impact on student engagement. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Kelsey, a thought provoking blog! I have not heard of the 'social software' comparison - love it! Purposeful blogging connects with the Key Competencies and Principles in the NZC, blogging is more than just writing. Are you going to fill the literature gap?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Gary! It means a lot to know someone is reading my work! Yes blogging is such an amazing tool! I am so excited to be able to use it in the way we are to connect and empower our learners through visibility!
      As for the gap... I will do my best to see what makes a difference and continue to share on here! I know Rachel's Summer Learning Work has the potential to tap into it too. I am interested to see how our cluster connects with it this year.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kelsey, it was interesting to read your blog on your literacy review. I think this is an excellent topic to investigate given the work we do with Manaiakalani. I thought it was interesting about the gaps you found in the literature. I found exactly the same issue when I was studying last year with a focus on assessing 21st century skills and using blogs as a tool for this. Really does show how we are ahead of pack which I think (and I'm sure you would agree) is really exciting. I'm hoping that Rachel might have some achievement data on the children that participated in the Summer Learning Journey once the end of year assessment is complete. I'm very interested to see where you go from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! It was really interesting to connect with you and find that you too found gaps in the literature. I am 100% excited about the journey we as a cluster are taking. It is really incredible to see 7 schools, in their entirety working together towards common goals for the benefit of a Cluster of students.
      I also cannot wait to see what happens this year with the Summer Learning Journey! Exciting times lie ahead!

      Delete

Manaiakalani Teacher Only Day - Structured literacy for older struggling students - Betsy Sewell

  English is extremely complex:  - Our alphabet letters to sounds  - It's not one language it comes from many other languages and moulds...