First PLD Session of 2019! - PLG Groups: Why These Are Effective for Professional Learning.

Welcome back! 2019 has started with a hiss and a roar and I am super excited about all of the cool initiatives we have started this term! On Tuesday I was invited to attend a session with the PLG Leaders at Hornby High run by Deirde McCracken. This was a great experience and I look forward to working with Deirde in a larger sense over the year.

The first part of the session was looking at professional learning groups and the research behind why we chose to learn in this way. The information we looked at was from: The Ten Tenets of Collaborative Professionalism, AITSL: Professional Learning communities and The Adaptive School: Developing & Facilitating Collaborative Groups (2018).

My biggest take aways from this session were:
- Collaboration is the key and we need to learn how to do it well as professionals
- We need more open, honest and reflective dialogue with our colleagues
-"difference, debate and disagreement are necessary for improvement"
- our main goal is collaborative professionalism

Our 'homework' was to look through the agenda and come up with an outline for future PLG meetings. This involves looking at aims, principals and dialogue protocol. I am really excited about working in a more guided and driven PLG group. I will keep you up to date with all of the other learnings... along the way.


1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Kelsey, what a great way to start the year. I really value being part of a PLG. In the PLGs I have been part of, I have felt inspired and guided as well as heard during our discussions. There's always a lot of sharing and learning during our discussions and I always value the input of other members of my group. Collaboration is a vital aspect of PLGs. I also agree that we need to be not only be open but also honest in our discussions. Look forward to reading more of your posts about your professional journey.

    ReplyDelete

Manaiakalani Teacher Only Day - Structured literacy for older struggling students - Betsy Sewell

  English is extremely complex:  - Our alphabet letters to sounds  - It's not one language it comes from many other languages and moulds...